I finished Braydon's sweater the night before he came to Kingston with his parents and I'm pleased with the way it turned out. I thought I was going to be able to follow a Sirdar pattern that I'd found, but there were too many things that I wanted that were different than on the pattern, so I ended up winging it.
It doesn't yet have buttons as I didn't have a suitable needle with me to sew them on. I'll do that later. I could only find plain buttons in Kingston and perhaps I'll be able to find something more interesting later. The stitch I used is the Shaker Rib Stitch. There are a number of variations on how to accomplish it. I worked into the stitch below on every knit stitch. Some suggest that you do that only on the right side of the garment. I like the cushy feel of the thick stitches.